Words have enormous power. They can uplift us and cheer us up; they can cast us down and make us wail and whine as soon as we hear them. Their power is so strong that they should not be underrated when writing songs. Let´s see why lyrics matter!
1. Connection: The lyrics of your song can build a bridge between the author and any listener who identifies with them; common ground is immediately established in the light of shared feelings. This song-to-heart relationship is a precious jewel to be cherished indeed.
2. Memorability: A catchy, moving, soulful chorus can work miracles! It can make you stand out in the sea of dull, hollow, repetitive songs -- a few appealing lines may bring you to the limelight as the author of a hit... and the prospective writer of another hit down the line.
3. Inspiration: If your lyrics are heartfelt and based on personal experience, they are bound to strike a sympathetic chord. They can inspire listeners who are going through a rough patch; they can brighten their days and help them move on. You can become a part of their lives in a most meaningful way -- being the helping hand of an unseen friend.
4. Quotability: Your lyrics, if carefully polished, can be a source of memorable phrases to be quoted. Think of fans who wear tattoos with their favorite lines or brands who choose a tagline for their commercials or even merchandise featuring famous phrases. Just imagine your own words making that impact!
5. Uniqueness: Last but not least, your lyrics tell all about you: who you are, what you believe in, and what you stand for. They highlight your uniqueness; your personal and individual outlook. They tell your story in your own way. The truth about yourself is poured forth in every line -- the message you and only you can sing. Your lyrics are as singular as your own voice.
As we can see, the power of lyrics should never be overlooked when creating a song. If you want your lyrics to be really effective, just let your heart dictate and write on.
This has been a guest post by Argentinian music consultant, musician, and writer, Mariana Dayan. You can connect with her on Facebook or shoot her an email!
WANT TO WRITE FOR US?